Friday, July 17, 2009

Make Sure People Can Get To You If You Are the One Who Gets It

If you have read my book entitled "Don't Let Your Dream Business Turn Into a Nightmare", then you know that I started a small business and ran it for two and half years before I had a falling out with my investors that turned my dream business into a nightmare.

You may not know that, in addition to promoting my book with a kind of evangelical zeal in hopes of helping other would-be entrepreneurs avoid the heartbreaking experience that I had, I also create marketing and communications tools for businesses through another company which I founded. In this latter capacity, I often contact companies -either by phone or email - to introduce myself and to pitch them on the marketing and communications services that I can provide.

Now - when I call up a company to pitch them on an idea which I believe can help them sell more of their products or services, of course I am trying to build my own business, but I am also trying to help them build their business. And, if I didn't think I could help them, I really wouldn't be wasting my time or theirs.

A couple of weeks ago, I called up a company that sells products online, with an idea that I felt could really help them sell more of their products. Have you ever tried to contact a large online retailer to see if you can speak to someone in the marketing department? If you have, then you know what I'm talking about.

However, I persevered, and was finally connected to someone in the marketing department who agreed to take a couple of minutes to listen to my idea. I succinctly explained the service that I could provide, and how I felt that it could help them sell their products online. The person to whom I was speaking expressed interest and requested that I submit a proposal in writing, which I did, promptly.

Yesterday I called back to follow-up on the proposal, which was submitted via email, as requested, to see if it had been received and to check on the status. This time, I was unable to get through to the person who had requested that I submit the proposal. I was told that she was not going to take my call unless I was one of their existing clients - "No, no, I explained to the person on switchboard, I am not a client, I am calling to follow-up on a proposal that I submitted at your request." "Well, she's not going to take your call" was the response, and what was not stated but implied, "Take a hike".

Now, let's just say that my idea is a really good one. I can tell you that it is because I adapted it from one of my mentors who happens to be one of the real gurus of internet marketing.

Let's just say that my idea (his idea, really) would help this company sell more of their products online.

What if I never call back because I was treated so rudely by someone who doesn't own the company?

When I ran my small business - one of the first spas for men in the world - I did not answer every phone call that came in. I had a staff of young gals who provided services in the spa, and they took turns answering the phone. But I made sure that everyone who called in with some kind of marketing idea - something that might just help my business - got a return call from me.

Why? - because I understood that a great marketing idea could come from anywhere - and that as the founder of the business I could not afford to miss out on a great idea by having someone who didn't get it dismiss it out of hand.

If anyone was going to reject an idea that could help me grow my business, it was going to be me.

If you are the one who gets it in your small business, make sure that people with good ideas can get to you. Otherwise, you may be missing out on a really good idea from someone like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment